Welcome to the Roberts Family Food Journal! A place where our two favourite things come together: food and photos. Yumm.
This blog is nothing much; it's simply a much-needed catalog and commentary on recipes our family has tried. We like good food. And we like to share the recipes that we think are awesome. That is all.
Enjoy!

Friday, July 22, 2011

"Harvest Loaf"...or Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins

My mom asked if I'd like some frozen pumpkin, a recent victorious discovery from a freezer clean-out.
That smart, smart lady also offered-- in the same breath-- a recipe to use the pumpkin in. Otherwise, it probably would have just sat in my freezer for-ev-er.
I like that mom of mine. Lots. And now, even more-so... because the recipe she gave me, along with the freezer-pumpkin, has been the best thing to happen to this house in the last two days.

2 batches in 2 days. And it's all gooooooone.

It's a recipe for a loaf. But I made muffins, because they just go over better around here. I also used milk chocolate chips, which makes any recipe better. I'd bet they would even help the most forlorn recipe...Milk Chocolate Chip Clam Chowder. Just you wait, next posted recipe.

There's even a fer-real photo or three with this one...not another stolen internet one. Woot woot.







Harvest Loaf...Or Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins

1/2 c. shortening
1c. white sugar
2 eggs
1 and 3/4 c. flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. cloves
3/4 c. canned pumpkin
3/4 c. chocolate chips
3/4 c. chopped walnuts (optional...we opt out every time...)

Directions:
Cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Blend in eggs, beat well. Mix dry ingredients in separate bowl. Alternately add dry ingredients and pumpkin to the shortening mixture. Stir in chocolate chips and 1/2 c. walnuts. Pour into pan. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 c. walnuts on top.
Large Loaf: Bake at 350 for 65-75 min
12 Muffins: Bake at 350 for 20-25 min

I also decided that I need to take a baking course/class of some kind; I'm really curious to know if adding the ingredients in a certain order actually makes a difference and why. Because I'm not convinced that it does.
Teach me! Fill me in! Seriously. The tastiness of my muffins might depend on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment