Welcome to the Roberts Family Food Journal! A place where our two favourite things come together: food and photos. Yumm.
This blog is nothing much; it's simply a much-needed catalog and commentary on recipes our family has tried. We like good food. And we like to share the recipes that we think are awesome. That is all.
Enjoy!

Monday, August 8, 2011

White Chicken Chili...and a Handy Trick.

When I married Darren, his mom supplied me with a handful of recipes that he enjoyed.
Such a great idea!
It has helped him (and continues to help him...) through my endless cooking experiments. At least, every few days, he would get something that was familiar, he for-sure enjoyed, and didn't have too many vegetables. Ha.

This is one of them.

It's delicious on its own...but even better with a little cheese sprinkled on top. Darren also adds sour cream. It's a family staple; it freezes well, tastes great as leftovers, and is every-one friendly (Renae will even eat "cheekin-and-beans"). We chop up the onions super-fine, so they're indistinguishable...or super-big so they can be picked out by those who don't like 'em.

Most recently, I made it for camping, and threw in some zucchini, chopped in chunks. Totally worked, extra-delicious. Also, it doesn't just have to be made with white beans, if all you've got are... coloured?... beans. And I usually half it for our small family...and make the full when I'm stocking up on freezer meals.

Sorry. Another random internet photo. I forgot to take a picture before we scarfed it the last time. 


White Chicken Chili from Sharon Roberts

-2 med onions, chopped
-1 Tablespoon cooking oil
-4 garlic cloves, minced
-2 (4oz.) cans green chilies (these are found in the "Mexican" section of grocery store)
-2 tsp. ground cumin
-1 tsp. dried oregano
-1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
-1/4 tsp ground cloves (I actually have never put this in...just because I don't have it around.)
-2 (14oz) cans chicken broth (I always have the cartons of chicken broth on hand, so I just add around 4.5 cups broth)
-4 cups cubes or shredded cooked chicken (see the handy trick below!)
-3 (15oz) cans Great White Northern beans, or Small White Beans, or White Kidney beans...

Saute onions in oil until translucent, add everything else, and simmer in crockpot (on high) or on stovetop (med-low) for an hour or two .

Mama Roberts also added that she also saute's chopped green pepper with the onions and adds them to the mix. Also sounds delicious!

Serve with grated cheese, sour cream, some garlic toast on the side...or just by its scrumptious self.


Okay....Now the Best Trick Ever.
My mom shared this tip with me recently and it has changed my life.
Boil some chicken up til it's not pink inside...then toss it into your power mixer (Kitchenaid, Bosch, whatever!...I'm pretty sure it might even work with an electric egg beater...but don't quote me on that) , turn it on....and it will shred the chicken for you!
Photo Source
Seriously. It works, and it saves so much annoying time spent shredding chicken with a fork and knife. I usually buy boneless chicken breasts and boneless thighs in bulk, so right when I get home from shopping, I shred about half of it: toss it in salted water, bring to boil and let boil for a while...shred, toss in a few smaller freezer bags...and voila! Chicken ready to be thrown in salads, chillis, soups, on pizza, for chicken-salad sandwiches, whatever.

Speaking of chicken salad sandwiches...and earlier...garlic toast....I have got THE BEST RECIPES in the WORLD for both those.

I'm sharing. ASAP.

No comments:

Post a Comment